LIFT CANNABIS BUSINESS CONFERENCE
Thursday, June 1, 2023 | 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
*Conference takes place in Room #205; Reception immediately follows in Main Lobby
This is a critical year for Canada’s cannabis industry. October will measure five years of cannabis legalization - and what we have to show for it. The Lift Cannabis Business Conference (LCBC) is Canada’s premiere business strategy gathering where top leaders, innovators, regulators, investors, researchers, suppliers and professional services come together to learn, network and forge a path forward.
The LCBC Toronto 2023 conference agenda is packed with strategy-focused, advocacy-oriented, truth-to-power, business and industry leadership sessions intent on supporting meaningful change and sustainable growth in the cannabis industry in Canada and worldwide.
CONFERENCE AGENDA & SCHEDULE
please check back regularly for updates
Introduction & Welcome
Session I: OCS KEYNOTE
The Ontario Cannabis Store President and CEO David Lobo will reflect on the progress of the legal recreational cannabis marketplace approaching its fifth anniversary and how the OCS is working to enable continued progress towards building a vibrant cannabis marketplace in the future.
David Lobo, President & CEO, Ontario Cannabis Store
Session II: CEOs PERSPECTIVE
What are Canada’s cannabis businesses doing – or do they desperately require – to remain world leaders in cannabis commerce? Hear directly from the business leaders of Canada’s leading cannabis brands on their perspectives and plans for:
- What consumers want: what are the most important emerging consumer trends, new products, market segments, and what combinations are driving success?
- Competitive strategy: business consolidation or diversification – what are the business strategies that are generating the greatest rewards?
- Growing moratoriums and market restraints: as the sector matures are regulatory measures, such as limiting growing licences or managing supply, good or bad policy?
- Building brands: how to create and promote outstanding brands that generate loyalty and confidence with consumers
Moderator: Niel Marotta, CEO & Founder, INDIVA
David Schwede, CEO, Heritage Cannabis
Marcie Kiziak, CEO, Nova Cannabis
Spensir Sangara, Founder, THC Canada
Session III: INTERNATIONAL REVIEW
Canada was the first of the world’s largest industrialized economies to legalize cannabis production and sales. Five years since a highly competitive worldwide cannabis industry has emerged. Now who has the advantage?
- Where are the next hot spots for cannabis legalization, innovation, growing, processing, manufacturing, product innovation, etc?
- The race to adult-use legalization in Europe - and its domino effect
- International regulatory standards – when will they be instituted and what will the consequences be, pro and con?
- Economic development and profitability vs. excessive regulations, rules, licenses, permits, taxes, duties, fees, black market competitors, etc.
Moderator: Deepak Anand, Cannabis Industry Management Advisor, ASDA Consultancy Services
Anna-Sophia Kouparanis, Co-Founder, Bloomwell Group (Germany)
Guillermo Delmonte, Founder, NDLATAM (Uruguay)
Nadav Eyal, CEO & Co-Founder, Eybna (Israel)
Trina Fraser, Partner, Brazeau Seller
LCBC COFFEE BREAK PARTNER
Arthur J. Gallagher Canada Limited
Session IV: TRUTH TO POWER PRESENTATIONS
Gabriel Bélanger, Founder, Origami Extraction Inc
Maxime Guérin, Lawyer, Groupe SGF
Carlo DiCarlo, Partner, Stockwoods LLP
Gerald Chan, Partner, Stockwoods LLP
Owen Allerton, Founder & CEO, Highland Cannabis
Session V: BUSINESS FUNDING
Five years into legalization, learn how Canada's smartest cannabis businesses are financing growth going forward.
David Goldstein, CEO, Stoke Inventory Partners
- Where to find growth capital when debt financing is increasingly expensive or inaccessible
- The ‘general industry outlook’ explained and what it means for start-ups or SMEs?
- How does the maturing cannabis industry compare to other similar industries – and what are the lessons to be learned from there?
- Understanding what influences seed investors’ decisions, such as rising interest rates, equity market pullbacks, inflation, etc.
Moderator: Jeanne Sullivan, Chief Investment Officer, The Arcview Group
Andrew Gaudry, Business Development Associate, Broderick Capital
Oscar Jofre, CEO & Founder, KoreConX
Mike Schilling, CEO, Community Savings Credit Union
David Goldstein, CEO, Stoke Inventory Partners
Session VI: EXTRACTS, CONCENTRATES & PROCESSING
Growth in extraction and processing of cannabis is outpacing all other segments of the cannabis industry. Is this demonstrating a major shift in cannabis product manufacturing or simply a levelling up of this segment’s place in the overall mix of cannabis production?
- Consumer demand update for shatter, live resin, rosin, HTFSE, sauce, wax, etc.
- Extracts vs. concentrates - the cutting-edge processes explained
- Most active areas of innovation in the cannabis concentrates and extracts segment
- Business opportunity forecast for extracts and concentrates segment
Moderator: Adam Temple, CEO, Evolved Extraction Solutions
Brishna Kamal, President, Whistler Therapeutics
Andrew Fisher, CEO, Protonify
Elad Barak, Co-Founder, CEO & CTO, Djot
Session VII: CANNABIS MARKETING
Cannabis businesses continue to be limited by strict promotional rules. But a combination of industry activism, increasing public trust, and new unleashed creativity may be changing the cannabis marketing landscape.
- Maximizing cross promotion partnerships with cannabis tourism, infused cuisine and beverages, entertainment and lounges, brand activations, and so on
- Optimizing social media to outstanding effect – compliantly
- Employing public safety announcements creatively that support public health and safety principles and develops brand awareness
- Advocating for fairer promotional regulations for cannabis products promotion, and leveraging brand-preference promotion and brand characteristics
Moderator: Joyce Hayne, Publisher, Cannabis Retailer
Colin Bambury, Founder & Editor, ADCANN and Marketing Manager, Ghost Drops
Dave Marino, President, Spirit Leaf Ontario & Superette Ontario
Dave Barton, Founder & Creative Director, thermidor> (UK)
Dany Lefebvre, CMO, Bleuh
Session VIII: CANNABIS RETAILING
What can the illicit market teach that the legal market needs to learn? How can illicit market consumers be won over to the advantages of legal product? Find out from this panel of seasoned cannabis retail experts, and much more.
- Fundamentals of cannabis retailing retold – the reality-check version
- What the illicit market knows about successfully retaining consumers – and how to do it better
- What is a sustainable independent retail environment and how to create it
- Product segmentation to meet increasingly sophisticated buying habits
Moderator: Abi Roach, Head of Marketing CX & Merch, Mera Cannabis
Katy Perry, CEO, TOKE Cannabis
Sean 'The Snoboisseur' Stewart, Founder & CEO, Supercraft™ and Founder, Hundred Pound Hauling Distribution
Chris Felgate, Co-Founder & President, Small Town Buds and Head of Operation, Independent Retailers Cannabis Collective